Saturday, January 18, 2014

Night Owl





So by nature, I'm a night owl.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, because I can get everything I absolutely need, (like food and water and....well, that's about it), in the afternoons.

But if I want to have a functioning social life outside of the home, or schedule appointments any time before noon, then I'm going to need a normal circadian rhythm. To that end, I've been trying to get on a normal, healthy sleep schedule that does not involve binge watching netflix and then playing video games until four in the morning.

Every night I've been trying to go to sleep at midnight and get up at 8. That seems like a nice, normal time to be sleeping.  Unfortunately, my body has gotten used to my ridiculous schedule, and thinks that going to bed any time before three is some kind of strange, tortuous insanity.

So the result of my effort has been a lot of laying in bed staring at the insides of my eyelids for hours, and still waking up around 10:30 or 11:00. "Ha!" says body. "You're stuck this way! Learn to be a recluse!"

To help things along, I've even gotten rid of most caffeine and alcohol, except in very limited quantities. My body is just as happy about that as it was about the schedule change. (For anyone wanting to try it, you should know that a life without coffee is a cold dark place with no comfort or refuge.)

Then, last night, I had two cups of coffee, went to a friend's house, helped finish off four bottles of wine, and then stumbled around my house until around 3AM. Back to my normal schedule.

But this morning, bright and early, I woke up at 8. Wired and unable to go back to sleep. One of the super great things about being awake so early has been that I am able to fully appreciate the length, breadth and depth of the hangover I have.

I can think of no reason that my body would do this

except maybe revenge.





No comments:

Post a Comment